Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-Changes

Ah, change. The reason life is interesting. The winds of change have been threatening to blow for the Burgess' lately, and as of tomorrow, they will be officially. Robin is starting school! What kind of school, you ask? Well Poker Dealing school of course! Some of you may find this an interesting career choice, but to me it makes perfect sense.

Robin is completely mathematically minded. In the extensive interview process for this position he was asked to complete a page of math problems. And he did complete them. In his head. The interviewer was so impressed with the fact that he hadn't written anything down and when asked about it Robin said, "I didn't realize that I was allowed to...". Man, it's a good thing that opposites attract because I do not work that way. Not only would he be able to split a pot (of poker chips in a hand for those of you not up on poker lingo) like a madman, but he also has an arm span to rival an orangutan. This means that he is perfectly proportioned for raking chips...what a proud wife am I :)

That said, My husband is off to his first day of school tomorrow. While this means a wonderful step for our family, it also means that he will be spending 3 nights a week away from home. An adjustment for both of us to be sure. I thought that I was dealing with the prospect very well until this evening in fact. My good friend Leslie's birthday party.

A rather large group of us went out to dinner to celebrate. Upon seeing how the restaurant was set for us (2 tables) all of the women decided we should split into guys and girls. A fine idea in theory...except when I start sobbing all over the pretty white table cloth. They all looked at me a little funny until one of them realized the reason for the crocodile tears. "Oh, Rachelle, I'm sorry. Robin could come sit over here if you want." "No," I say,"really I'm fine." Then they asked when I would get to see him again to which my reply was, "Tomorrow." a few giggles," I know it's silly because it's only one night (He left right after dinner) but it's just what saying goodbye tonight represents." That's right, CHANGE. Something that I have never been good at dealing with.

Now, I don't consider myself a dependent person. I enjoy time alone, and I get a lot done. Once the goodbye is said, I don't have too much issue filling my time. But there is something sad about coming home to an empty, quiet house and knowing that you will be going to bed alone.  Once you are used to a warm body beside you in bed, it's hard to give that up. One redeeming thing is that I have a couple girlfriends that are going through the same thing. It's nice to have someone that understands.

I've come to realize that this will be a time of seeking the Lord for strength. To know that his will is perfect. That he has a hope and a future for our lives. I find comfort in that.

My friend shared a verse with me last week that has been a continued comfort. An old favorite.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures (not like turf which is scratchy)
He leads me beside quiet waters
He refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake
...my cup overflows
Surely your goodness and love will follow me 
all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever


Thus begins the ushering in of a new era for the Burgess'.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I cry every time Kyle leaves too.

    ReplyDelete