Monday, April 4, 2011

Republica Dominicana

That is where I spent my spring break. I went with YL to a spend a week building on a camp there called Pico Escondido. It. Was. Awesome.


It was such a great experience. Everything. Including the whole 'not being able to understand a lick of Spanish so I result to hand gestures and speaking loudly' American way of dealing with immersion. It also made me resolve to learn Spanish. I think I'll Rosetta Stone it.

We went to the camp to help build on it. Our projects included building a stone path (Really fun! Think gigantic puzzle...) and staining, sanding, and varnishing bunkbeds for the new dorms they are building. The boys on the trip also poured a slab of concrete for the floor of the new dorm. 


This is a section of the path that we made. Yes, I welcome pats on the back.



This is a spot we were particularly proud of. Lizzi found this rock 
and we just had to use it. 

We worked so hard. But it was so worth it to think of the future of the camp. All of the kids that will walk that path, or lay in their bunk crying out to Jesus. It was such an privilege to get to be a part of Pico Escondido's history. 

These are a few pictures from around camp. I had told myself before going on this trip that I would be a good picture taker. I got a gigantic 'F' for fail. These pictures don't even come close to doing the camp justice.

This is an overlook of the pool, and you can see the gym in the distance.  Note the beautiful stone pathway. Everything there is so aesthetically well done.



The fire pit. More of the stone path we laid. 


Happy Campers after a delicious meal.


The most common form of transportation in the DR. It's not uncommon to see 4 or 5 people crammed onto one of these things. I saw a family of 4 on one with the mother dangling her baby off the side. Talk about safe.


Little Andee Q. Love this face.


And this face.


And this one.


Leaving camp:(

We got to stop at a market on our way to the 'Debrief' site. This was the only picture that I snapped, but I thought it was a pretty good one.


Maybe a touch inappropriate. But quite hilarious. And totally proportional. 


For our 'Debrief' we got to go stay at a resort in Santo Domingo. It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. White sand, crystal clear bluest blue water calmly lapping the shore, the sun warming my face. I know all you Coloradans are drooling:)


Sunrise on the beach.

Overall, I had a spectacular time. It helped me realize how big God is. He doesn't just work in my little town, or just my state, or even just my country. He is alive and well in the Dominican Republic and all over the world. 

This is the post that never ends, but I just have one closing statement.  I bought a bunch of candy in the airport on the way home (you know, duty-free and all that jazz). Bella was the one that ended up getting to enjoy it all. Literally all of it. Wrappers included. And a tube of chapstick. I wouldn't be surprised if I went out in the front yard in the morning and was greeted by a multicolored sprinkle-topped confection that she pooped out all over my turf. That dog.





2 comments:

  1. That really yummy chocolate? I hate it when dogs get the good stuff?!?!?!?! So frustrating. But what isn't frustrating is the fabulous time we had on the trip. LOVED being there with you! Can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Bella, I am so going to miss our awesome hikes. Sky is out of commission right now but as soon as she is back on all 4s we will visit and go on our awesome hikes. P.S. LOVE hearing about the trip:) I miss you guys already. In fact I am sitting here crying just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete