Thursday, July 21, 2011

DIY Camera Purse

First of all, I just have to say YAY!!! I just got a new camera! After awhile of lusting after other blogger's crisp detailed beautimous pictures I decided that it was time to invest. My point and shoot was just not cutting it. So I ended up picking up this beauty on ebay...


It's a Canon Rebel XT. Not the best body, but I asked my photographer friend, Sharon, for advice on the matter and for the price, this couldn't be beat.

Anywho, back to the matter at hand. After making the purchase, I decided that I needed something beautiful to carry my most prized possession around in so I started the search. I found a lot of really beautiful bags that looked like purses on Epiphanie and Jo Totes, but they were all upwards of $150!! Um, I shop at thrift stores...hello. So I did what any good DIYer would do. I google searched 'DIY camera bag purse' and there sat my salvation. Vanilla & Lace had posted a way to make your own!! And it's REALLY simple. If you have ever used a sewing machine, you can do this. 


trust me. My husband is better at sewing than I am. I actually had to enlist his help, but the project did get completed.

First, grab your supplies:

**1 yard of the material of your choice. Make it pretty people. (I ended up not even using the whole yard)

**A purse that you love. Target has some bags that are pretty ideal as far as shape, zipper closure, tapered top (so it's easy to carry). I already had this bag, so score! 

**A couple sheets of foam. I have read that some ladies have used 3/4 or 1", but I thought that would be too bulky and kind of unnecessary, so I just went with 1/2". Also, I found a bunch at the B (thrift store) for a quarter, so I made the best of it. Another score! 

**Sewable velcro $1.60

**Unique Stitch $4.50 (or you can just sew the velcro on, but I'm lazy)

These are the measurements i used for my foam, yours will probably be different but overall it should be around the same size.
Bottom pad: 13 1/2" x 4 3/8" using 3/4" foam
Short sides: 4 1/2" x 4 3/8" (make 2)I ended up deciding that I didn't need these, but if you want extra protection they would be great.
Lens dividers: 7 1/2" x 3" 
(make at least 2)
Straight divider: 4 1/2" x 3 1/2" (make 2)
Long side pads: 10" x 4 1/2" (make 2)

Now, use all these foam pieces as a pattern for the fabric, adding about an inch to all sides for seam allowance. Cut two pieces of fabric for each foam insert (obviously!)..
Note: For the lens divider, add 2 inches to the short ends so you have little flaps to sew velcro onto.



To start, I sewed one piece for the long sides and bottom. I started by sewing 3 sides and then I added a piece of foam and then seamed it, added another piece and then seamed it, and then the 3rd piece and then closed it. 



Then I added velcro to both sides (this is what you will be attatching the inserts to)




I decided that Unique Stitch is my new best friend. The velcro is not coming off.
I have seen people use a double row of velcro, but I didn't seem to think it necessary. Oh, and be sure to put to 'soft' side of the velcro here. You don't want fluffies sticking to it constantly.

I then sewed all of my inserts. I made sure to leave a flap on either end to attatch velcro.


I measured to make sure that the velcro strip would match up with the piece on each insert.


This doesn't look too good, but it does match up, I assure you ;)

And that's it!! Pretty simple. It took me about 2 hours, but I bet if I tried it again I could do it quicker. I won't lie to you and say I didn't break out my seam ripper...

A few more pictures of the finished product!!






And a point and shoot picture of it fully loaded!

Hope you all enjoy! Feel free to leave a comment if you decide to try this with a link back to your blog!


2 comments:

  1. Ok so question... I have a camera that I love but the lens doesn't come off or anything. When I go out on the town... yes I know most of the time I am a hermit but sometimes I do actually venture out... I end up with a huge purse with my huge ugly case just shoved in it. Then if I want to take a pic I have to dig through the big purse and find the case then open it take the pic and put it all back in. Seems silly. I want to make a purse that has a camera spot on one side and leaves the other side open for my phone, wallet, etc. Do you think I could do this only on a smaller scale. Basically just one square that I could switch from purse to purse. I need help:) Sorry for the rediculously long comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes!! I would tell you to just measure your camera and go ahead and make the 3 sided 'pillowcase' like part with the seams. Then sew up your other 2 sides (like you would a pillow) and hand stitch them on to create a little box. I bet it would work great!

    ReplyDelete